Stars Within our Reach
Hello, and welcome to Stars Within our Reach. We are a fantasy role-playing forum that have aspects of Steampunk technology within our world. Here, Guardians and Travelers work together to bring Shards of the Utopian Core back to the Eye of the Gods. Strange things lurk in the shadows, proving survival to be difficult in an area so prosperous...

Make sure to read our site rules before joining, and we hope that you have a fun time here!

There is no more division between where you can and cannot travel. World blurs into world as you reach across galaxies, searching for something beyond...

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password

Online Staff
Latest topics
» Where Beasts Rule (Private, Flynn)
by Imelda Tue Aug 01 2017, 07:29

» Call to Arms (Private)
by Ardent Mon Jul 31 2017, 22:29

» Skylar Agnar, Traveler of the Realms
by Skylar Mon Jul 31 2017, 03:46

» Hiatus- why pretty much I'm never here
by Guest Sat Jul 15 2017, 21:41

» Ties Between Realms (Private, Flynn)
by Gwynn Thu Jul 13 2017, 23:05

» Sly, the Apothecary
by Vyllaea Wed Jul 12 2017, 04:38

» Cascade Dawn, the Inhuman Practitioner
by Cascade Mon Jul 10 2017, 08:43

» Mixed Messages (Private)
by Roshan Fri Jul 07 2017, 06:13

» Flynn Argall - Enforcer
by Vyllaea Fri Jul 07 2017, 00:55

» Tion, the Dragon of Wind
by Vyllaea Thu Jul 06 2017, 23:30

Top posting users this month

Share | 

Call to Arms (Private)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cascade

Character sheet
Name:: Cascade
Alternate Accounts: Vyllaea, Imelda, Roshan, Daemian

PostSubject: Call to Arms (Private)   Wed Jul 12 2017, 03:43

Cass's ears twitched, holding themselves firmly against her skull as she walked. Bloody requests and notes- don't they know how important her time actually is?! She didn't have the time to just take off and go wandering through the halls looking for the darn room where she apparently was meant to meet these people. Her bow was strung- surprisingly, being held in her hand as she walked. Fingers flexed, her free hand's fingers flexing and relaxing as she walked. She was on edge, wanting to rip it up and shoot something in her annoyance. Before she'd even finished that thought, her hand was instinctively raising to grab one of the arrows from the quiver that was basically hidden by her hair, a flap keeping the two separate to avoid awkward arrow drawing.

Her feet carried her down the marble hallways, her head raised a little to admire the roof for a few moments. She was BORED already from the walking that she'd done.

A glimmer of light caught her attention, an 'oh?' expression almost forming on her face. Ah. There. With an annoyed and dark cloud of emotion settling on her face, she walked forward, ignoring the glowing rune on the wall. All it told her was that that was the place she was after anyway. Regardless of if there were others there, her foot kicked open the door, an arrow almost magically dancing from her quiver to her hand in one smooth motion. She stepped into the room. A raised stage at the front of the room, before falling into rows and rows of tables. An old classroom of Cass's. Instantly, she found two men who had been speaking to one another and she instantly raised her bow and the deadly shaft to the older looking man in the room. A scowl evident on her face, her voice boomed forward, showing her anger.

"And what right do you think YOU have with ripping me away from my duties! I was in the middle of prepping for an operation!"

The mans pale eyes glanced over to her, arched gracefully as he raised his eyebrow to her. "Well, it's nice to see you too Cass. Don't worry, a more... Experienced Practitioner has taken your place on the roster. Try not to think of the poor person who you could have butchered. That being said, I'm glad you could make it here without too much of an inconvenience..." He began, the laughter being hidden in his voice so well that Cass just knew he was holding it in. Quickly, he nodded to the taller male he was with. Standing proud in surprisingly formal apparel, he turned his head to look to Cass, his eyebrow raised as well. Surprised or dumbfounded, Cass wasn't able to tell. With surety that the Practitioner had never seen before, the blue haired man walked over to Cass- the doorway was where she assumed that was going and she stepped to the side to allow him to pass.

The last thing that she expected was for him to turn, look her square in the eye and speak. "Just drop the bow by the way, he's not going to hurt you and I don't think you want the council angry with you." He stated, his voice incredibly deep, masculine. The very presence that the man gave Cass made the Practitioner back down a little, his tall, crippling and yet, almost drawing eyes made her feel like she was looking into the heart of a natural killer.

Rather quickly, the man turned his gaze away from her, the female instantly taking the tension from her bow as she returned the arrow to the hidden quiver, only hissing mildly as the feather like pieces on the arrow hooked in her hair. Sighing, she looked at the other man, walking over to him as she still held the ebony bow in her gloved hand, refusing to let it go so easily. "So, let me ask, why on earth have you decided to call us here anyway, Vance?" With a laugh, Vance shook his head. "All things will be revealed- when the others are present."

Cass's annoyed sigh was the only thing that broke the silence that fell between them before she sat on the top a nearby table.

Now she just needed to wait for the others- if they weren't already behind her...

Oops.

(Sly, you can join when you're approved)

Last edited by Cascade on Mon Jul 17 2017, 23:37; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sly
Practitioner
Practitioner

PostSubject: Re: Call to Arms (Private)   Wed Jul 12 2017, 09:06

By now he should be used to the usual tiredness, from having to stay up late overtime due to a patient suffering from complications, and then waking up early the next day before the sun could. He only started adorning the "white coat" a few weeks ago. Still adjusting to the new lifestyle he supposed. But at least it was paying well for the embarrassingly large debt. Though just before he thought he was starting to tolerate the usual routine, he was suddenly forced to cancel his clinic duties for today and make himself present in one of the teaching rooms, expecting a fellow named Vance to show up. Along with what he could only presume to be a team of different professionals. Perhaps they were going to operate on a rather special patient? One member he was well aware to be a classmate of his, having studied to be a Practitioner but with a much keener interest in surgery. They perhaps only seen eye-to-eye but there was nothing more beyond that.

Sly gapped his mouth and quickly covered his yawn. His boots echoed across the hallway, lightly lit from the rune on the wall which he was all too familiar with. Though he never understood what it meant, or what its purpose was. Not that he could spare any room in his head to anyways. For a moment, it was an empty corridor with doors lining across a wall. He was not lost. The room was his former classroom during his studies, but he never thought he would have to walk down the stressful halls of his old school again. The atmosphere was still as tense as ever. He was starting to miss the morning dew when he got here. The faint smell of wood and earth filled the air, making his stomach turn a little. He remembered the first few days, how it could actually help him stave off hunger if needed.

Sly figured he was getting late. Of course. Not he was stationed anywhere remotely close to his school anymore. He considered looking for the time until he saw two figures outside the door to his room already. One was the familiar classmate. The other a tall and blue haired man which Sly could only assume that it was Vance. Sly adjusted his vest, clinging onto the white shirt under, and straightened them both. He then brushed a hanging strand of his gold hair from his eye and made his presence known.

You called? Sly asked, wearing a rather smug smile and looking up at Vance. He turned to the classmate and gave her a light bow, an expression of formalities. And it's nice to see you again. The name is Sly. He would give an ample amount of time to let her return the greeting, or silence, if she were of that sort, before turning back to Vance. I suppose we are waiting on another? Which I assume to be another Practitioner. Is there a critical patient in need of our combined efforts? His mind raced a little on what sort of ailment it could be that would have been indeed so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ardent
Traveler
Traveler

Character sheet
Name:: Ardent
Alternate Accounts: None (for now~)

PostSubject: Re: Call to Arms (Private)   Wed Jul 12 2017, 18:25

Clenching and unclenching gloved hands, her body swathed in deep black cloth, regardless of the outside temperature, was how Ardent made her way down the corridors of the Academy. In all truthfulness… she hadn't expected a summon of any kind… ever. Period. She wasn't some high achiever, her work ethic had been cited as 'less than satisfactory, but enough', and she had had and given a terrible time to any number of teachers. So why would she, a newly christened Traveller, be called? And… here, of all places? Defiantly not for something good… Sighing to herself, as she turned another corridor, only to be faced with more rooms and even more corridor, she mused over how… similar it all was. Of course, the rooms were filled with chairs and tables now, instead of blood, operating tables and cages… but still. The layout was familiar if not comforting to her, letting her walk a little easier. At least there's no-one trying to hunt me down and use me as a jigsaw… she mused, a dry chuckle escaping her at her own joke, and the truthfulness of the statement.

Eventually, after some time, the room, she assumed, came into view. The rune blazing beside it seemed to suggest that. Stopping a good few feet from the doorway, she took several long moments to adjust her appearance. Tucking away a few strands of stray hair, she ensured the cloth wrapped around her face covered everything below her eyes snugly, leaving it up to her hood, which was quickly pulled up, and her hair, to obscure the rest of her face in shadows. After this, she leaned carefully against the wall and took several more moments to herself, breathing deeply and attempting to calm herself. Just focus on anything else… she told herself quietly, before pushing off and standing straight, as if that would make a difference to her miniscule height, before shrugging and relaxing herself. Who was she kidding? She didn't care all that much about all this… there was a reason she later than the other two arrivals. She had wasted a time just outside, sitting at a nearby bench and watching the world go by, wondering if she should actually go. Eventually, of course she had decided to, or else she wouldn't have been there, but it was more to kill time than anything else.

Stepping to the doorway, she glanced inside, her golden eyes scanning quickly around the room, surprise registering in them for a few moments as she saw three others. Two individuals who, oddly enough she seemed to faintly remember seeing… maybe walking in? Then again… Glancing towards the female, holding a weapon of all things, she noted the ears that adorned her head. Ears like that would be difficult to miss or forget. Of course, even as she thought that she realised she wasn't much taller than herself. Maybe she had been partially hidden by another, and she had only caught a glimpse? Regardless, her gaze turned upwards to the second that seemed familiar. Okay, he was slightly more memorable. Tall, dressing like he actually had somewhere important to be, and rather slim, he looked like what she imagined a high ranking scarecrow to look like. Smiling beneath the cloth, her gaze finally turned to the final person.

"Hello Vance."
She greeted, simply, far more than either of the others there were likely to receive or have returned. Her voice was cold, but not completely so. She knew of his position, and his status on the council, yes, but there was something… off about him. She had attributed it to his eyes at first, but there seemed to be… something about him. That just made her skin, or what was left of it, instinctively crawl and made her desire to suddenly find herself under a large rock, and stay there until he had left. Inclining her head to Vance, she moved back, towards a seat that was more so away from the other two than him, and sat down slowly, leaning forwards over the desk and clasping her hands together to rest her chin upon them, watching Vance, and out of the corner of her eyes the other two, but ensuring she stayed far from their eyes, more so for their own comfort than hers… some had problems looking into such… inhuman eyes.[/i]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cascade

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Call to Arms (Private)   Thu Jul 13 2017, 01:14

Time dragged on. It seemed like an eternity before something interesting happened after Cass had began to lean on the table. Her attention had diverted to her weapon in her hands, happily fiddling with her bow when she heard the first series of footsteps. In truth, a grand total of a few seconds had past, Cass was just being a little dramatic. She noted that the blonde haired man had spoken to the tanned man as if he were Vance. The masculine figure turned to Sly, his head partially tilted to the side.

The blue haired man raised an eyebrow; "I sure hope you weren't thinking that I was Vance. After all, he was one of your old teachers- he's over there." The darker skinned man commented, jerking a thumb to indicate something over his shoulder. Not something. Someone. Probably one of the more important people that the blue haired guy knew. "If I were you, I wouldn't keep him waiting too much longer, Sly."

With that, the man with rather weird hair left, making way for a partially cloaked figure as they walked by.

Cascade raised an eyebrow at the formalities and, being her, decided to just incline her head to acknowledge the gesture. It wasn't her being rude, she just simply didn't feel the need to go any further than that. After all, the two were in the same rank and held the same authority when it came to their speciality as Practitioners. "Cass Dawn." She simply said while she lowered her head to acknowledge him, pushing herself to her feet. The bow was still in her hand and she decided to leave it on the table that she was previously sitting at. Her ears twitched slightly, her head tilting as she noticed a cloaked figure almost appear out of nowhere as she came into the room.

Not feeling the need to really introduce herself to them as they spoke to Vance, the female walked forward, beckoning Sly into the room and closer to the three of them. The cloaked female spoke first, the tone almost disregarding the authority that Vance held. However, the older man with those unnaturally pale eyes didn't seem to mind. It was almost as if he knew what was coming...

When Sly joined the three of them, it was only then that the elderly man would speak. Vance lowered his head to acknowledge the younger female. "Nice to see you two Practitioners managed to show up- even if you wanted to shoot me, Cass. But... Yes, never mind. Greetings, Ardent. I'm glad you could make it." His tone was surprisingly soft to her, almost as if speaking from regret. It was interesting for Cass to notice that, but the girl pretended not to notice, her ears flicking slightly to display her annoyance of the situation. "Yea, yea, yea. Enough of the darn formalities. Why are we here? I was dragged out of preparing for an operation." Cass snapped suddenly, eyes glaring at Vance.

Vance simply raised his eyebrows at the comment, the demand. "I forgot how impatient that you were, Cass. But on a more serious note... Why I have asked you all to come here is for one reason and one reason alone. I need to send a team of Practitioners and Travelers to a Realm which has recently become more stable with out own- portals have been forming randomly and after some time, we have finally managed to stabilize one of them for Travel. This plane has not been seen by anyone else, we do not know what's on the other side. But we have done our initial tests and it seems to be a safe destination for Travel. So, I would like to ask..."

A smirk pulled on his face, seeing Cass's eyes widen in shock, her ears pricked up from the information, her form barely able to contain her excitement. Vance looked back at the three of them, clear that he wasn't holding back and was cutting straight to the point. Being honest with them, for once in his darn life.

"Would you three, as a team that will record and report back what they find... want to Travel there? To a Realm untouched by people from our own. From Nectoria. From Yvantis. Would you three like the honour of being some of the first people to go to that realm? You all must know though, it could be dangerous, even deadly... Which is why we want two Practitioners with you, Ardent, as you will be tasked with documentations during the Travel there... The two Practitioners will keep you looked after and healthy, and you shall do your duties as a Traveler and explore that realm."

"So what do you say... Are any of you interested?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sly
Practitioner
Practitioner

PostSubject: Re: Call to Arms (Private)   Fri Jul 14 2017, 01:10

The man he thought was Vance was quick to correct Sly. Sly flushed a bit, stiffening as he realised this, but otherwise, did not show any signs of faltering. Of course he was not Vince. How time had passed quickly and he forgot the faces of his teachers, especially if he had seen so many patients already. The thought of coming back to his teachers never crossed his mind, and he was a bit too overconfident when he thought he would not be required to memorise their faces again. Instead, whoever this man was, he directed Sly to a cloaked figure. Sly assumed this time, this man was Vance, but why would he turn up only now and not sooner? If there were another figure in here, he would have thought twice about thinking the third person who was here to be the one who summoned him. Even hiding his face under the cloak would never help.

The fourth person was another female, but not a classmate that Sly knew. At least, if she was a Practitioner at all. She only very briefly greeted Vance before scurrying to the distant desk, watching them from afar. Yeah. His guess would be she was something else. Cass though, at least introduced herself, though very briefly as well... and he supposed with grace. While Sly wore the somewhat friendly and casual smile, he was deep down doubting any satisfaction or achievement from whatever Vance had for him. Sighing quietly, he made his way to Vance, standing behind Cass. Immediately Vance acknowledged everyone else saved for Sly. Typical.

He refrained from coming up with anything snark and just bit his tongue. If he did not know any better, his blood would be boiling and contemplated why he even bothered answering to his Summons, all the way from the suburban reaches far from where he decided to call this meeting. He had patients in need, tests to order, operations to do and medications to prescribe. And the last thing he wanted right now was a minor act of immaturity. He sensed the soft tone of Vance's voice as he addressed Ardent, but was short-lived when Cass, hot-headed as she ever was, butted in and almost spoke his mind. Getting straight to the point.

Sly remained quiet throughout, paying as much attention as he could. But then it slowly waned as he realised it was not as much peaking his interest. Though the prosperity of knowing the different flora that grow would be something much more welcoming. A new realm, or several. Nectoria? Yvantis? None of those came up in his teachings as a Traveller. Honourable, that the three were chosen to be the first explorers. But why just them three? Sure, they needed Practitioners to keep each other and the Travellers healthy, but if they ever wanted a team to survey the new area, they would have been better off picking a team of Travellers rather than just one - which Sly assumed to be Ardent. And if the area was dangerous, they would at least have some bodyguards. Not that they could not defend themselves, but if Ardent falls, who else would be there to evacuate them?

In the end, Sly only gritted his teeth, shielded by him turning slightly away with raised eyebrows as he pretended to think of the offer. Cass was required to delay an operation... where a life was at stake possibly... just so they would be offered a chance at fame or glory? Sly could spend the whole day discussing how inappropriate it is, especially if Vance could not have just sent them letters of offer instead of letters of summon just to tell them this offer. Perhaps Sly would have an easier time answering at that.

But... too late he supposed. He was already here. All appointments shifted to now heavily congested days ahead, and he had a day or two of absence. If he had to describe his former teacher at this point, it would be someone with little regard for responsibilities of others. Then again, it was not like he remembered much about him, especially if all he did was lecture them on what they needed to know to achieve their marks.

That's quite the interesting proposal, Sly said with a smugness to his voice. It's like we are settlers moving to explore a new world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ardent
Traveler
Traveler

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Call to Arms (Private)   Fri Jul 14 2017, 17:52

As Ardent waited for 'Sly' to join them, she gently parted her hands and rubbed against the ridge of her left eye, another mild migraine, as per the usual, setting in as she sat there. Tapping her right foot against the ground rather quickly, she questioned her own choice of choosing to sit at one of the tables, having known it would have discomforted her. Lifting her head a fraction as Vance began to speak, she gave him a small, partial smile, her eyes brightening for a moment as she inclined her head once more at his greeting. "It's not as if I had anything more important to attend to…" She chuckled quietly, before glancing sideways over at Cass. Yes, she had been cold to Vance, but she was just being outright rude…

Eyes snapping back to Vance as he continued to speak, she allowed a small amount of surprise appear in her eyes and on what was visible of her face. A new plane… Of course, there were limitless numbers of difficulties and dangers. New flora and fauna which could kill them, more than likely the human and… whatever this 'Cass' was, rather easily, new forms and uses of magic, even a possible sentient population… Of course, that wasn't exactly a good thing. Depending on the world itself, that could range from something Utopia like to nothing more than a few proto-humans with barbaric rituals and culture.

"I think that they'll have their work cut out for them in the whole 'looked after and healthy' part." She chuckled dryly, as if sharing some sort of inside joke with Vance, a smirk of sorts on her maw. She doubted how she felt currently would class as 'healthy', nor would she be classed so if she exposed her skin. "But regardless…" She glanced between the two Practitioners, mild distrust in her eyes. They weren't exactly her favourite class… Whenever she saw or thought about them, they brought up only  dark thoughts and revulsion, of people being torn apart and parts thrown away, of her own past, or what she could remember of it. No doubt some of the creatures that had worked on her were, or had been, Practitioners, probably the reason she had lived for as long as she had.

"Being completely truthful, I think your scarecrow and the Dawn Ranger here would be spending more time tending to one another, especially if the plane is an inherently dangerous one, which wouldn't surprise me. Not to say they're unskilled with their weapons, they most likely are… but a rapier and a bow? God forbid we counter a large, hostile creature. It'll have toothpicks for it once it's done with its meal."
She huffed. "But enough of my ramblings. I guess they must have some redeeming factors if you chose them…" Changing train of thought completely, she then asked him, "And how long are we going to be away? I doubt you would have  summoned us here in person if it was going to be something that was just a few hours or a day or two."
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Call to Arms (Private)   Mon Jul 17 2017, 20:58

- the narrator's voice thoomed announcing that there was much time skipping that was approved by an admin, none but the Gods themselves heard these words uttered -

A man wearing a bleach white cloak stood leaning against a sturdy pillar. He towered over the small crowd around him, a wide tongue spread out as he let his lion maw open. It was hot out, way too hot. Even with his fur shaved down it wasn't enough to beat the sun's harsh rays. Perhaps for most, it would have been a comfortable temperature but for a beast of great size such as himself it was easy to become overheated. He scratched his shoulder, it felt weird without all the chitin armor on. A thick rope stayed tied around his neck laced with ratty tassels. It covered his mark as an enforcer a bit and some of the many scars his body was carved with.

He slowly pulled out a note from a crudely sewn pocket on his equally crudely made robe. Squinting he muttered the poorly scribbled words to himself. It helped to write things down, his memory wasn't very good...
Lion was being entrusted with a great mission yes, to protect brave warriors as they traversed a new land. Oh, wait a whole new world. Please excuse the narrator, his handwriting is hard to read.

He pocketed the crumpled paper and looked at the single piece of clothing that was covering his body as a woman dressed quite lavishly walked by. She was gorgeous with flowing layered cloth and golden ornaments in her hair that sparkled like stars in the high noon sun. A frown pulled at his mouth, he wasn't very proud of his hand sewn robe anymore. Oh well, it would do. Looks weren't important anyway, he was ugly and that was quite alright.  

Lion perked up as he noticed the two he was to travel with show up not too far off. Vance had given him a brief description of them of course. Walking over with heavy foot steps, the beast eagerly held out a calloused paw-like hand. He gave a big, big warm grin showing the missing proud teeth. The two canines kings of the jungle were usually known for looked as though they had been ripped out. Even the gum around them was healed over lacerations and tears. His approach meant well but given his closed right eye, milky pupil, and overall poor appearance that made it seem as though life chewed on him and spit him out he could have easily been mistaken for some homeless brute quickly heading toward the two. He was big, towering, and even his tail didn't add a shred of grace. It was kinked and twisted, like a branch on a gnarly tree.

"I am Lion." he thoomed proudly in a deep, warm voice, "I have been pulled from my post to assist you. It is such an honor." his very words swelled with genuine glee and emotion, a wonderful sensation of energy could literally be felt in one's very being. It washed away pain and made the air buzz with life. It was like warm rushing water, energetic and pounding yet so pleasant to wade in.
Oh he was so excited, this was an honor. A deep deep honor. He couldn't help but feel like he was part of something important! Well that's how every service to the Council felt truthfully.
Back to top Go down
Ardent
Traveler
Traveler

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Call to Arms (Private)   Wed Jul 19 2017, 03:40

Like some others of her kind, she had a far greater tolerance for heat than other creatures. While she saw a few passer-by's sweating, mostly those larger than her human form and a few clad in feathers, fur or some other covering other than skin or cloths. Chuckling internally to herself, she found it a comfortable temperature inside the cocoon of cloth that was her clothing. She got a few odd looks because of it, of course, the hood, and completely black cloth finished with her hand stitched cloak, spattered with crimson, which had been altered, painstakingly, with crimson thread to look like something other blood. Combined with her small stature it drew many gazes, although, not as many as her face would have … And it was far more forgettable, as well, as unbelievable as that may have been.

Of course, The Dawn Ranger was there with her, following closely, but she took little notice of her. She hadn't really done or said anything to capture her attention, although, her fiery temperament and that bit of disrespect she had shown towards Vance had amused her and ensured she didn't think of her in a completely negative light. Shaking herself from her thoughts and musing, as she felt, heard and saw a rather large creature approaching them. A rare smile crept onto her hidden face, as she looked over his scarred and damaged visage. Even if she had never met or seen him before, she already felt a sort of kinship with him, of pain, and quite possibly suffering, united in their scars, even if hers were hidden to the world.

"Lion… a pleasure to meet you. My name is Ardent… my companion here Cass." She introduced them both to him, taking the offered paw of the great beast. It was odd, considering that he was double her height, and his paw almost completely engulfed her hand, but she liked the handshake. Not too tight like some, and not too loose. Even her pain deadened a touch in his presence, as she smiled lopsidedly. "I trust you've been informed of the… adventure we're embarking on, correct?" She asked him, as she dropped the handshake, allowing Cass to introduce herself to him, if she wished. "I'll be glad for the company." She informed him, before adding, seemingly as an afterthought, "Nice robe."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cascade

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Call to Arms (Private)   Thu Jul 20 2017, 20:28

To be honest, Cass was more than annoyed when Sly decided against going with them, even if she could tell by the look in his eye that he was less than pleased with her being there and speaking out of time. Sure, she did that often and people needed to understand that that was just who she was, but noooo, they judged her every single time. But come on, Sly was one of the few people in her class that she didn't want to outright murder and tear away the throat from.

Okay, Cass, enough with being murderous.

Her mind happily wandered back to what she had been told by Vance. No, they weren't going for just a day or two. They were to be going for anywhere from a week to a month. She was going to be stuck with this snot nosed brat for an entire month! The one who dared to give her an ill fitting nickname, the one who dared to just go around and almost happily slander Cass's names. Yes, the girl with weird ears used a bow, yes she was good with it, but that didn't mean she appreciated it when people just went around and gave her titles for things which she considered personal to herself! And what was worse, was that they would have to make a giant report of all their findings when they returned.

Thankfully, Cass snagged a few writing books and a pen from her place before she left this morning. The two had already left to gather the rest of their supplies needed for at least a week to ensure that they would find sufficient foods while they were there. If not, they were to return and gain further supplies. Cass allowed a feather of a smile to touch her face at that thought. She had no doubts that if there was a monster to slay that she wouldn't go back through the portals for food.

It was oddly warm around them, but... Truly the female didn't mind. Oh the benefits of wearing a dress all the time! Well, almost always. She ensured to wear something underneath so that she wasn't exposed, persay.

Her thoughts were interrupted when a large shadow suddenly loomed over the pair as they made their way towards the portal to Vester, as Vance called it. Cascade rose her eyes to meet the other creature, the marks around his neck signifying that he was an Enforcer. Fur-like rope wrapped around his chest, the chitin shining in the low light like that of a beetle. He was... Interesting, to say the least. Cass couldn't help it when she felt the feather of a smile touched her face.

At least they had a bodyguard now, and suddenly their chances of living through this increased exponentially.

The Cloaked stranger quickly introduced themselves and, at the mention of her name, Cass inclined her head graciously. "Pleasure to make an acquaintance of you, Lion." For once, her tone of voice spoke the levels of genuinity that she felt, a smile on her face. She just felt more... Relaxed when she were near him, for a lack of a better word. The ache that she had in her shoulder also seemed to flow from her, the concequences of not firing the arrow at Vance and instead slowly taking the draw away from the now murdering her shoulder. Thankfully, it wasn't the case anymore.

She indicated for the two to keep walking as she was, they were almost at the site of the portal by now, the marble archway of the building Vance had given directions to obviously clear. It wouldn't be long until they were stepping through and onto the new plane. Cascade smiled slightly, almost tired, feeling as if she was going to have to take care of these two seemingly younger people. Her ears flicked back slightly, ensuring that she could hear what the two behind her spoke about. Over her shoulder, Cass decided to give a tiny bit of input to the conversation. "I'm a practitioner, Ardent is a Traveler- which is the main reason we're able to go through the portal. Has Vance caught you up to speed with everything? Or will I need to give you a crash course?"

This time, she couldn't help the slight annoyance in her voice. Formalities came first, then came ensuring that they were all on the same page... The casual chit chat last.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Call to Arms (Private)   Fri Jul 21 2017, 19:33

Ah everyone always felt to frail next to him... small children with the minds of adults in his eyes. This thought as he stood close to the two ladies reflected in his stature. It was hunched over a bit beyond his regular bad posture and he kept a little more distance then the average person. Surely it was an odd sight to see, most large creatures stood proud and tall with that strong gaze that looked down on the little whelps beneath their feet. Lion was almost like a skittish kitten with the body of a bear. His expression conveyed worry deep beneath that childish excitement for the mission.

Lion responded to the wee little Ardent first and foremost, "Ah, I only hope to serve you two well as it is my nature and duty." he offered a paw again, "I can carry any supplies, they can be heavy." it was important to be a gentleman to woman especially, not to mention he felt as though these two were his superiors.
"Oh! Thank you for the compliment on my robe as well... though surely it isn't as splendid as most." his tail twitched as he said this with up most bashfulness. Gods he was so blessed for such a compliment from a clearly strong lady. His genuine smile didn't fade in the slightest as they walked along.

"I am informed with what I need to know. I will leave you two with what you do best as we explore, please think of me as merely a body guard. I will lay my life down for you without hesitation." he said with all seriousness, that glee fading from him as he spoke. It was time to focus on the task at hand. Clearly that's what Cass wanted as well. She seemed to respect discipline and that was something he could display excellently.

"I should warn you two to be mindful of your wounds and don't forget to sleep should you need to. My magic mutes pain and weariness." Lion said bluntly. It was best to be honest and upfront from the get go. In the past such an aura brought... ruin he was sure of it. Ruin he couldn't remember. A hard frown tugged at the end of his mouth, "..." he seemed thrown deep in thought, ears flicking a bit. He instinctively rubbed his shoulder again, caressing his worn pads over the short fur covered only by that thin robe. The beast hadn't brought his armor, it wasn't suited for travel. It snagged, overheated him, and caused other annoyances.

"That is all I have left to say for now."
He concluded after his bit of musing. Lion fell utterly silent, he needed to focus on their surroundings as a good bodyguard should. Who knows, they could be attacked as soon as they walked through the portal and he was very much ready for that.
Back to top Go down
Ardent
Traveler
Traveler

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Call to Arms (Private)   Tue Jul 25 2017, 08:07

A small frown made its way to Ardent's face as Cass spoke. To say she wasn't pleased with her was an understatement. It would have been pointless to outright tell her she wasn't needed, since, god-forbid she did come seriously wounded, the practitioner wouldn't be laying a finger on her. She'd had enough butchers messing around with her, both inside and out, and she's far rather death than being toyed with again. If Cass wanted that… privilege, she'd either have to knock her out or gain her trust, both of which she doubted would be as easy as she thought they'd be. These thoughts all surged through her even as she smiled, Lion's mere presence enough to make her do so.

Ardent huffed, and waved a paw at Lion's words, as she turned her attention back, fully, to him. She too had seen many of the same people who she knew he was referring to, dressed extravagantly, to look down and separate themselves from others. "It may not be as refined or as smooth as the robes of most, but it's by far more interesting, and no doubt more comfortable. I should know." She chuckled, twisting around to show her own hand-sewn cloak. Her warm smile slowly faded as Lion turned to the matters at hand, and she let out a gentle sigh. To turn so quickly from light to serious…

"Oh."
She said in mild surprise, as Lion spoke. So that would explain why she felt a little better… Idly reaching back, she rubbed her back, just below the shoulder, and found the pain bearable, just. "Well. Thank you for that." She told him, sincerely. "That's a rather useful and interesting aura." She told him, once more smiling. That aura, combined with his charming nature and aura of just plain… life… lifted her spirits even further. Of course, she had a small doubt in that back of her mind, that his charm was another aura around him, and he wasn't actually as nice or as well-meaning as he seemed. But his sincerity seemed to combat it, and it was quickly squashed down by other thoughts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cascade

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Call to Arms (Private)   Thu Jul 27 2017, 03:59

After being acknowledged by Lion, Cass simply lowered her head in a nod, signalling that she heard and understood what he had said. But of course, that cowled figure took everything Cass said as arrogance or annoyance. For fucks sake, Cass really couldn't be bothered dealing with that jerk. The next thing she knew, her slender fingers were brushing against the edge of her bow. Admittedly, it was incredibly tempting to pull that bow up and shoot Ardent straight through the neck- just to prove that she wasn't as pathetic as that girl thought she was.

Just because she knew that Ardent was thinking that made her furious...

They group came to the room of the portal, the inky green of the water-like surface swirling hypnotically, but the flickering of the fire around the portal was enough to tear anyone away from being hypnotised by its beauty. A deadly. Empty. Beauty. Cass cast her gaze around, taking in the grand marble structures that rose high into the skies, only to bend and shift downwards to form pillars that held the place upwards. A stained glass rooftop cast down gorgeous patterns on the ground they walked upon- but the figure depicted was that of Light. The only reason they knew what she looked like was due to that great Monolith that the Guardians stood over, watching and protecting it with their lives...

Too bad that something happened and it was through hushed whispers that Cass found out about the devastation that had happened. Of course, she was sworn to secrecy, and she didn't think anyone else around her knew.

A random squawk and the flurry of beating wings caught Cass off guard, stepping back in shock Ashe raised an arm to almost defend herself. Mighty claws of a rather colourful bird dug into her arm, the ears of Cass flicking back as a snarl left her maw. "What the... What the hell are you doing?" She demanded, but the bird just stood there, perched on her arm, it's mighty form shadowing Cass surprisingly. It's tail was incredibly long, a plumage of gorgeous feathers coming from its head. Cass blinked. It actually was gorgeous, having the feathers of blue, red and yellow through its wings. Intelligent eyes looked back at the practitioner, the two just staring at each other before the bird randomly let a shrill call out, before turning to the portal.

Slowly, Cass looked to the portal, then back to the bird, completely forgetting the other two with her. "You're... Coming with us?" She asked, before the birds eyes seemed to gleam with happiness, before partially inclining its head. Quickly, the bird glanced to the other two, before her eyes settled on Lion. A small noise left the bird before, rather experimentally, it took flight again, hovering over his shoulder.

Carefully, gingerly, the mighty phoenix landed on his shoulder, the claws only holding him enough so she didn't fall from her new perch. Up there, her long form also didn't seem weird, the tail feathers having touched the ground when she had been perched on Cass. Happily chirping, the phoenix lowered her head- almost to say hello to Ardent, before reaching down and tugging a note bound to its leg to hand to Lion. Inside it detailed that she would be conducting a search of the area and not to worry about her as she was basically to really scout far out into the lands before catching up with the group before they returned home. However, the note did not contain the birds name, just stating instructions and to meet the trio before they left.

Cass sighed, before jerking a thumb at the portal. Come on, we need to leave soon."

Even though they had temporarily adopted a fourth member of the group, Cass was eager to just get the month over and done with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Call to Arms (Private)   Fri Jul 28 2017, 15:30

Lion looked over at Ardent with a big warm smile, "I've had many ask me to stick around for it but please don't forget it's a double edged sword." He dared to ruffle his comrades hair with a deep purr, his only 'good eye' shifting to gaze upon the portal they were about to enter. How intricate and lovely, he silently thanked whoever took the time to make it. His head turned around this way and that as he admired the room in awe. Oh what wonder would it be to live in a room like this ? Maybe with a bed that fit his monstrous size too. Ooo... and lots of birds yes. They were messy little creatures but so happy and chipper. Caught in his daydream and wonder, his heavy hand stayed on poor Ardent's head. The fur was exceptionally soft but the calloused pads snagged and scratched against her like sandpaper dragon scales.

Lion perked up quite a bit when the bird made it's sudden appearance. It was gorgeous and he had never seen such a species before, his whole body slowly leaning forward to gaze upon it closer. It was colorful and proud, quite frankly he thought the large feathery friend looked almighty compared to Cass. It was a very interesting pair, that vibrant splash of colors against the dragoness' greens and blacks. He wondered for a moment if she perhaps owned it, this thought quickly being proven wrong as Cass displayed puzzlement.
He'd have to ask Cass later if she liked birds... perhaps they'd have something to bond over less professionally. The dragoness interested him, she seemed to be a proud woman. The way her fingers would brush against her bow and such dire focus on the task at hand... he admired what he interrupted as a soldier like attitude. Hm Ardent didn't seem to like her though. All he could hope was for some bonding experience on the journey.

Lion flinched a little as the creature shifted to perch on him instead. He was so lost in thought he didn't even notice... URG, how could he be so careless ? Alert, stay alert. The beast straightened himself out and cleared his throat, an uncontrollable purr welling up inside him as the bird got comfortable on it's high branch of sorts, "A note ? Why thank you." tenderly, Lion gave the phoenix a little smooch on the head. It was just so precious and cute, how could he not ?? With difficulty he read the note aloud so everyone was on the same page. He was so blocky and stumbled over his words like a toddler. Lion was clearly awkward and yet he didn't seemed the least embarrassed about his impairment.

"Indeed." he agreed, heading toward the portal.
Back to top Go down
Ardent
Traveler
Traveler

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Call to Arms (Private)   Mon Jul 31 2017, 22:29

Although her eyes were on Lion, she hadn't missed the twitch, as Cascade moved her fingers over her bow. A small smirk pulled at the otherwise pleasant smile she wore, at the thought that she had already managed to get under her 'caretaker's' skin. Oh, she would be fun to toy with… After all, she was there to make sure she, along with Lion, stayed somewhat healthy. Of course, she wasn't going to touch her… but regardless, it made her smile. She'd have to put up with her if she wanted to stay.

Stepping into the room, Ardent's gaze was immediately drawn to the portal. The fire barely registered for her, the portal almost black, like the few pools she had… Shaking her head, more so to break from the thoughts than the hypnotic movements of the watery surface, she noted, with a smile, that Lion still had his hand on her head. The large beast… he was likeable, and coming from her that was a feat. As a general rule she didn't like people, but there was just something about him… Almost like a kitten. Unless you had no heart, it was almost impossible not to find it adorable and likeable, and want to hug it, just the same as Lion himself.

Pulling her gaze towards the squawk, Ardent was amused to find a simply massive bird perching on Cass' arm, the talons looking as if they were digging, almost painfully, into her arm. "Well. That's an interesting companion you've got yourself." She mused, not hiding the amusement that was clear in her voice, mainly at Cass. It was quite the nice looking creature as well, but with an odd combination of colours, red yellow and blue of all things in its feathers.

Smiling up at the phoenix, more so a left over from smirking at Cass than anything else, she gingerly reached up as the great bird lowered its head to her. Gently, and quickly, she rubbed it's cheek and its chin, a gentle purr escaping her, quickly covered up by a quiet coughing fit, leaving her mentally cursing herself. Letting out that odd sound always messed with and tickled her throat, the coughing guaranteed afterwards. Eventually regaining her composure, she was only a little saddened to see the bird with its attention back to Lion. Of course, it faded as she realised he was, in fact, the creature's intended target, having not noticed the small note attached to one of its legs.

"No name?" She asked, out of the blue. "And, unfortunate as it may be, we will have to worry about you," She directed that towards the phoenix, "as we have no real means to know what is coming or out there… unlike these worlds, we don't know the beasts, their patterns, their trails or signposts. You may very well be the thing that keeps us alive." She said plainly. More so than can be said for her… she thought to herself, not looking towards Cass. "Regardless… let's go. A month isn't going to pass by any faster here than there."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Call to Arms (Private)   

Back to top Go down

Call to Arms (Private)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1